1 Aralık 2008

A SIMPLE MISTAKE

Whatever the pretext, the celebration of the end of a millenium, the independence of a country or any other special event, it is all the same for any other person. Each new day is just another day in the relationship between two “individual”. The unchangeable personal relationships in a virtually changeing world. “To share” is only hypothetic, just like all other worldly pretexts. “Dates” are virtual to the history of mankind. These hypothesises have an illusion of cover on the outside, while hollow inside and to be shared with “nobody”.
Stanley Kubrick didn’t live long enough to see the turn of the millenium, or maybe he saw it 30 years before. Arthur C. Clarke makes an ironical point: We are making a simple mistake.
The millenium starts on the day of Don Quixote’s victory over the windmills.




*






“The time is coming. Oh, Man, oh Superior Man. Listen to the words of the deep midnight”





T - Hey, you’re home? Don’t know where you are, was gonna ask you to come over, we’ve got drinks and everything. Call back.

M - Any hopes for the new year?

Z - Yes... yes

M - Tell us about your holiday dreams in 2000.

Si - A sunny beach, very warm, with white sand and...alone.

M - And you, how will you meet the new year?

D - What would you expect...As you see, tons of housework to do. Washing, cooking.
No New Year for me.

M - What kind of a man would you like to be with in the new year?

U - My ideal type of man is the same for all years. He should be real handsome, tall, should dress well, and of course be wealthy too. At least he should earn more than me, should treat me like a princess, tell me he loves me...then I would like luxurious presents...like maybe...he comes on the New Year with a key and says “Your Chevrolet is waiting at the door... Do you know such a man?

M - Any plans for the future?

K - Well...I’m real bored if you ask. No plans for the future...no hope. When I come to think of it, I’ve always made bad choices. Wish I had a jeep, and a girlfriend. All my life I dealt with books...all in vain. No, no plans for the future. If you ask me, in chess, queen’s variant is totally wrong.

*

C - I was just passing, saw your lights, thought I’d drop by.

S - Welcome in.

C - Happens only once in a thousand years.

S - Thanks. Champagne? Step in.

C - Expecting anyone?

S - No. You know I’m not.

C - Warm in here.

S - Weren’t you rehearsing today?

C - No. Everyone’s gone somewhere.

S - Why didn’t you?

C - Where? And why should I? It’s much better to have chicken here with you.

S - Turkey!

C - Turkey, O.K...What’s the difference?

S - Differs a lot for them.

C - What about salad?

S - I’ve fixed it. Chicken salad.

C - Oh, music... What about you? No radio work today?

S - I’ve been off for a week.

C - Good.

*

S - How did you like it?

C - It’s all great.

S - A strange thing happened at the last day of work.

C - What?

S - A new 64-channel mixer was brought in the studio. Technicians and electricians, all worked for hours. The place was in a mess. They finally got it all fixed out....Said everything was ready. Then I decided to try it out. The moment I touched the main switch, thousands of volts ran through my body. All my hair went up...I was just about to warn my friends not to touch........

C - My hair went up too. You wouldn’t believe it. Was thinking of having my hair cut for days. Today I decided. You know I have a friend who does this job in her house. I called her three times. She told me the electricity was out. Can you believe it... Nonsense.......
?
He’s hungry?

S - Yes. He’s always hungry.

C - Everywhere was packed today. What’s there to exaggerate. I don’t understand.

S - They are mistaken.

C - What about?

S - Wrong timing.

C - What? A thousand years have come to an end, and you say it’s nothing?

S - Not a thousand years. They are mistaken.

C - How?

S - Wrong calculation. In many cities they installed clocks supposed to count down to zero at midnight. Actually it’s the end of 999 years. We need another year to make it a whole 1000.

C - I still don’t understand.

S - O.K. Say you’re at a grocery. And want to buy 3 kilos of apples.

C - I love them.

S - Fine. If the balance starts from 1 instead of 0, you end up having only 2 kilos instead.

C - Our grocer wouldn’t do that.

S - Not the point. If you want 3 kilos of apple, the balance should start from 0.

C - You mean all those people are aware of this and still trying to have fun?

S - Much the better for them. They wouldn’t miss a chance.

C - Well I knew where the real fun was, so I came here... Then I’d better go and pick some good music to change the mood.

S - I have a better idea.

C - No. No, I don’t want to see it. I’ll pick some good music.

S - What’s wrong? Why? Do we have to wait another year?

C - Oh, these are new! Should we play this one?

S - Please don’t touch them. Please put them back.

C - What about this one?

S - Will you put them back!?

C - Please let’s play this, come on, play this one.

S - No! Please put them down!

C - Then play this one.

S - I said leave them! Don’t fool with me. Leave them alone for God’s sake!!


*






(1999, short movie 2000)

Hiç yorum yok: